NMT Chapter 61: Wedding Plans for Maria Clara (See other Noli Me Tangere Chapter Summaries)
Capitan Tiago was the only well-off Filipino who was not jailed. Capitan Tinong was freed, but he was sick and refused to leave the house.
Dona Victorina and Capitan Tiago agreed that Linares and Maria Clara will get married, and Capitan Tiago prepared the following day to announce the engagement of Maria Clara.
People criticized Maria Clara for getting engaged to someone other than her former sweetheart (who was going to be executed or banished to some far off country).
The teniente insinuated that Maria Clara betrayed Ibarra.
Maria Clara asked Tia Isabel to bring her to her room where Maria Clara pretended to sleep. After the guests had left and the place had quieted down, Maria Clara went to the asotea.
A banca stopped nearby. Ibarra got out and went up to the asotea.
Ibarra told Maria Clara that she betrayed him, but that he forgave her.
Maria Clara explained to Ibarra about the letter, and why she gave it to Padre Salvi. She admitted that Padre Damaso is her father.
They asked one another about each other's plans. Maria Clara vowed that she had loved only once. Ibarra admitted that he had escaped from prison.
Maria Clara sees Elias in the banca, and he salutes her.
1. Of those who attended Capitan Tiago's announcement of Maria Clara's engagement, only Teniente Guevarra was sad. He thought that Ibarra was innocent.
2. There's no such thing as "Filipino time." Actually, it should be called "Spanish time" (the practice of coming late in order to give themselves some semblance of importance).
3. Padre Sibyla is the Dominican parish priest of Binondo. He was quietly observing the people around him who were busy bragging about themselves.
4. The letters written in the revolutionary or subversive papers were similar to the signature of Ibarra in his letter to Maria Clara.
5. People thought that the "woman" who gave the letters was someone Ibarra was secretly hooking up with (which was typical of young men of Ibarra's class).
6. Maria Clara knew that it was Ibarra or the medicines that he sent through Sinang which healed her of her illness.
7. Doña Pia and Padre Damaso attempted to abort Maria Clara through medicines. They obviously failed.
Questions & Answers
1. Whom did Tenienta Guevarra blame for the imprisonment of Ibarra?
He blamed Maria Clara. He didn't know why Maria Clara had to give the letter to Padre Salvi.
2. How did Ibarra criticize Maria Clara about her "betrayal"?
He gave a speech about how he vowed in front of his mother's corpse that he would make Maria Clara happy no matter what. He told her that she may have forgotten her promise (since that was not her mom), but that he, the son who respects the memory of his mom, and even in the midst of great danger, went to Maria Clara to tell her before they forever lose sight of one another that he forgives her.
How dramatic, right?
You can imagine the devastating effect that had on Maria Clara, who was already extremely depressed.
3. When did Padre Salvi reveal to Maria Clara her family background?
He did it when Maria Clara was gravely ill, when he heard her Catholic confession.
4. What condition did Padre Salvi impose on Maria Clara, before he would allow Maria Clara to love Ibarra?
The condition: Padre Damaso should first forgive Ibarra.
Padre Salvi was aware that that would never happen. In effect, he gave Maria Clara an impossible condition.
5. What forced Maria Clara to sacrifice her love for Ibarra and follow the orders of Padre Salvi?
Padre Salvi threatened to reveal that Maria Clara was really the daughter of Padre Damaso.
6. Whom did Maria Clara wish to save from the embarrassment the scandal of her background would bring?
a) Her mother's memory
b) Capitan Tiago
c) Padre Damaso
7. What did Padre Salvi say to Maria Clara regarding the Ibarra's letter?
It will be used as proof that Maria Clara will not marry Ibarra without the permission of Padre Damaso.
8. What characteristic of Maria Clara runs counter to the typical perception that she's a quiet and weak young lady?
Maria Clara is actually strong, and can remain steady in the face of overwhelming odds.
Go back to the text and read what Maria Clara told Ibarra, such as the part about her loving Ibarra only and that no other man can ever have her.
(Do you want to know how other Pinoys are succeeding online? Read this.)
Manny M. Viloria