NMT Chapter 60: Patriotism and Self-interest (See other Noli Me Tangere Chapter Summaries)
The corporation of the frailocracy and the government rejoiced over Padre Salvi's timely discovery of the planned uprising. They started dreaming about their promotions to higher levels of power because of the government's success in quelling the rebellion.
The frailes blamed the Jesuits for corrupting the youth.
Capitan Tinong did not know what to do. He thought that he will be taken into custody because he was acquainted with Ibarra.
He had his cousin Don Primitivo called (he loves to speak in Latin).
Don Primitivo ordered that all written documents and worthless books be burned. He also advised Capitan Tinong to give a jeweled ring to the Capitan Heneral (and Capitan Tinong complied).
Still, Capitan Tinong was arrested that evening along with other rich people in Tondo, and was jailed in Puerza Santiago.
1. Capitan Tinong deluded himself into thinking he was someone influential. That's why he thought that he would be arrested just because he had gotten to know Ibarra in the past. But because he gave a ring to the Capitan Heneral, he became a target and was thus arrested.
2. Don Primitivo is a caricature fashioned after the characters of Capitan Basilio and Doña Victorina. He keeps on speaking ni Latin even if no one understands him.
3. Padre Salvi found out about the planned revolution because of the holy sacrament of confession.
4. The Jesuits at that time had made known the concepts of the weather and seismology. Check the web for the biography of Padre Faura.
5. At that time, simply saying the name "Padre Burgos" was enough to get you jailed or exiled.
Questions and Answers
1. What trait did Rizal present in the character of Capitan Tinong?
Jose Rizal presented Capitan Tinong as a social climber who constantly hung around people of power or those looked up to in society.
During the celebration organized by Capitan Tiago for Ibarra, Capitan Tinong boldly approached Ibarra and invited him to his own home even if Ibarra had no idea who Capitan Tinong was.
2. Why were Capitan Tinong and affluent people in Tondo arrested?
The government wanted to take over their wealth and to subdue liberal and free thinkers such as Don Felipo.
(Do you want to know how other Pinoys are succeeding online? Read this.)
Manny M. Viloria